Class Notes Concerts Preview: e(L)ement
Welcome to Class Notes Concerts!
After a year of Virtual Class Notes Concerts, YourClassical MPR is returning to the classroom with In-Person School Visits and Live Virtual Concerts.
Each year, YourClassical MPR reaches tens of thousands of students across Minnesota through the Class Notes Concerts program. Designed to engage and inspire elementary students through live musical performance, these concerts help cultivate active listening skills and allow students to experience the joy of music.
In the coming weeks, we will publish a Class Notes Concert Preview for each artist or ensemble. Find each preview on the YourClassical Music Lessons Page.
These previews will feature:
Audio and video of each ensemble/artist to use in the classroom or enjoy on your own.
Ideas, information, and activities to prepare students for an in-person concert or a Live Virtual Field Trip. This information can also be used as a reinforcement tool after students experience an in-person/live virtual concert or as a classroom resource.
This Class Notes Concert preview features e(L)ement.
1. Begin by watching and listening to e(L)ement perform some music by Yoshi Weinberg.
As Karen explains in the video, this piece is supposed to represent the element of wind. What sounds did you hear that made you think of wind? If you were to compose a piece of music about wind, what sounds would you use?
2. Karen plays the flute. In the next video, she will tell you a bit about her instrument, including why the flute is in the woodwind family even though it is not made of wood.
3. Mallory plays the harp. Listen to her explain some different features of her instrument.
4. Now that you’ve been introduced to the harp and the flute, create a grid like the one below to write down thoughts, observations, and characteristics of each instrument.
5. Watch and listen to one final piece, performed by e(L)ement. As you listen, think of three or four words you would use to describe this music and share them with someone at school or at home.