Virtual Concert: Heliopsis
Age Range: K-6
1. Begin by watching and listening to Heliopsis perform a song that they wrote called Katydid.
2. The first video featured two instruments. Mikaela plays the cello (CHE-llow) and Nyttu plays the timbila (tim-BEE-la.) In the next video, Nyttu will share some facts and information about the timbila.
3. Nyttu comes from the country of Mozambique on the continent of Africa. Many of the instruments he plays are common in Mozambique. Take a look on the map below to see where Mozambique is located.
4. Mikaela and Nyttu use a process called improvisation to create many of their compositions. In the next video, they will explain and demonstrate how they collaborate and use improvisation to compose pieces together.
5. Mikaela and Nyttu composed Ngoma ya Tumbuluko through improvisation. As you listen and watch, think about how they might have worked together to create this piece.
6. Did you notice Nyttu’s instrument in Ngoma ya Tumuluko? It is called mbira (mBEE-rah.) In the next video, you will learn about and listen to the mbira.
7. Finally, Mikaela will demonstrate her instrument – the cello.