YourClassical Music Lessons: Musical I Spy
Need ideas for easy and fun at-home music learning? Here's our latest YourClassical Music Lesson. This lesson is a musical version of a popular game called “I Spy.” We will look for certain musical symbols and listen for certain musical sounds.
Target age range: Grades 2-6.
1. Have you ever played “I Spy”? It’s a game where you try to look for certain objects or things. Take a look at the picture above. In a game of I Spy, you might be asked if you can find the following objects:
Ping pong paddle
2. Now it’s time to look for some musical symbols. Learn or review the following musical symbols:
3. Look at the sheet music below. See if you can find each of the musical symbols from the chart above. Point to them on the computer screen or download the music, print it out, and circle each symbol.
4. Next, you get to play “I Spy” by looking for and listening to some specific instruments. Look at the instruments below and practice saying their names. Imagine what each instrument sounds like.
5. Finally, watch and listen to this short excerpt of a piece by the composer Gustav Mahler. Each time you see or hear one of the instruments above, say the name out loud. Bonus points for saying additional instruments you see or hear.
6. Which of these instruments is your favorite? Tell someone at home or at school one new sound you heard.
Tell us what you learned!
Have a question or suggestion? Contact Katie Condon, music education specialist.