In studio with Jenny Lin
In 2012, pianist Jenny Lin released her album Get Happy, which is full of favorite show tunes arranged by some today's most virtuosic pianists.
Why choose arrangements by pianists? As Lin explains, "when pianists make the arrangements, everything is possible."
Andre Previn takes on Richard Rodgers, Stephen Prutsman adopts Harold Arlen, and Earl Wild arranges George Gershwin. Because the pianists are so familiar with the instrument and the sounds that it is capable of, Lin says they can better address the problems inherent in translating vocal music to a percussive instrument. It's music waiting to be played.
Lin joined Fred in the studio to play these pieces:
* Richard Rodgers (arr. Stephen Hough): My Favorite Things
* Frederick Loewe (arr. Stefan Malzew): Eliza in Ascot
* George Gershwin (arr. Earl Wild): Embraceable You
* Richard Rogers (arr. Andre Previn): Blue Moon
* Harold Arlen (arr. Stephen Prutsman): Get Happy